“The Old is not dead, the new is not yet”, Bishop Spong.”
My own dilemma in starting a church in Pepin:
* Not old time religion
* Not new age
* Small town
* Business conflict
* Meet where?
* Collage of belief system in my little community
* How to “hook” people
* Seven Baptist Churches
* Two Community Churches (New Age)
* “Souls for Jesus is our Battle Cry”
* God needs men to bear the chest to the storm & fight the good fight for Christ, Bob Jones Sr. “Get ‘em lost Brother”.
* Two key books on church planning:
The Spontaneous Expansion of the Church by Roland Allen
Missionary Methods: St. Paul’s or Ours? By Roland Allen
The current social/religious situation
* People – most are lost
* Christianity is lost.
* The old has to die – like Christ did – to resurrect the new Christ’s Body – 2nd coming?
Planting Independent Catholic Churches
Think of yourself as a “missionary” (shudder)
Think of yourself as an outpost of the Catholic – Universal Spiritual/ Christian faith & for the developing community of Christians/World Servers.
When an idea gets clear it begins to be magnetic.
“You may be a member of the Church of Antioch and not know it”, the Bish.
“Be against something” Jack Hyles – A theme polarizes in a magnetic way.
Bob Mounds & Booze
* Against equals Fear, hate, warfare. We have turned that corner in the PLAN of God on Earth – relative to fear & hate as a motivation.
* When the energy leaves a negative theme it dies.
* Seek a theme for your area that will attract people (expand)
- Classes, what subject: dreams, meditation, Bible, etc.
- Baptism (history of circumcision)
- Marriage (open communion)
- Men and women
- Sexual orientatio
- Divorce – Glen Ray
The Key person concept – Andrew got his brother to come to Christ. “You need a bird dog.”
* Key Venue – discuss place to meet.
* Don’t go dark.
* You will have problems if you attract people. (This is a big stumbling block)
* Invite people – use church cards, personal contacts – let the bird dogs work – share your dream, then have a service/class, etc. let it develop a life of its own.
You hold charter?
* A congregational rule, vs Government by Hierarchy
* Contrast; Church leadership styles
* Other denominations are different
* Build a nucleus of people that see the vision clearly.
Bishop Dan Gensing & the American Catholic Union– (Bingo) Convergence
* New agers
*A New Christianity For a New World
Why Traditional Faith is Dying & How a New Faith is Being Born, John Shelby Spong, Harper Publishing, 2001.
(Each of these subjects is a discussion in and of itself. Later Postings will be dealt with more individually. Stay posted!)